John's Reviews > Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

M_50x66
May 30, 09

bookshelves: book-on-tape
Read in May, 2009

Interesting exploration of what may someday be. Though Mr. Kaku is probably right in most of what he says, I am saddened to hear that he leaves little room for the discovery of additional laws of physics that will blow his timeline away.

I suppose that it is only to be expected when you speak to a scientist that only what is scientifically known now is appropriate for consideration. Still, he could have been a bit more flexible in how he worded some of his more absolute statements. Right now, he is the 21st equivalent of 19th century scientists who were quite certain that all that was knowable in physics was known, and only degree or precision was to be improved upon.

I was also surprised to hear that he didn't mention the dark, secret side of string theory except quickly in passing, that is, there's absolutely no proof for it; right now, its just a bunch of elegant equations that fit what we already know. There are some prominent physicists who are beginning to get disillusioned about the whole idea of string theory, Lee Smolin being one of them.

Still, it was fun reading, and I recommend it if you can handle its level of science.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Impossible.