Shirley's Reviews > Have a Crumby Book: A Collection of Wit and Whimsy from Cincinnati’s Favorite Bakery

Have a Crumby Book by John Eckberg

May 30, 2009

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads
Read in July, 2009

Clerisy Press; 152 pp.

What a deliciously delightful novelty of a book! WARNING: DO NOT read this book when you are hungry. I often found myself drooling on the pages of photographs of popular billboards depicting some of Busken Bakery's finest baked goods. Their appearance is absolutely mouthwatering! I do wish that I lived much closer to Cincinnati, now. I also wish that I could have had the pleasure of seeing some of these billboards in my travels; but alas, I have not.

There is just enough history of the Busken Bakery and its founders to familiarize yourself with the chain and give you a little background on the baking industry. It was interesting and educational. For instance, I know with 100% certainty that I could never be a baker, since I learned that they get up to go to work at 2:00 a.m.

But, again, the real treat here are the photos depicting the clever advertising slogans full of puns; and most importantly, the delectable baked goods themselves! I'm definitely ready for a trip to Cincinnati now. Oh, that won't be necessary--they have a website that offers shipping of their products.

I'm glad I received this colorful book with the funny name as part of the Goodreads Early Reads program; since I don't think I would otherwise have discovered it. It was a pleasant, quick read and should be especially delightful to those lucky people who have grown up with the Busken Bakery as part of their life. I would like to thank the author, publisher and Goodreads for this treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have a Crumby Book.

07/01/2009 page 5