Robin's Reviews > She's Come Undone

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

May 30, 09

bookshelves: bad-books
Recommended to Robin by: Book club
Recommended for: people who like disfunctional characters
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

Sometimes I really think I'm 'out of sync' with some mainstay favorites and this is one of those times. This and the Road were both Ophrah picks and I did not like either one.

I would say this is the worst book I've ever read, but that wouldn't be true, (The aforementioned "The Road" has that honor) but as you can see from my rating it isn't much higher up th list.

If you like books about the people who never fit in, are kind of mean, are clinically depressed, have screwed up families, who are clueless about why their lives are as awful as they are, or truly enjoyed the Confederacy of Dunces...then this is the book for you.

The author took way way way (did I say way) too much time adding in tons of details, making the character's life more and more pathetic. This book could have been half as long as it was. And what is with the Whales? Other than a metephor for unhappy fat people which seems trite?

I'm not sure if I'm glad or annoyed that at least there was a happy ending to this tale. I did not feel that the character went through real growth, but instead just grew fed up. Maybe that's considered growth.

There were only two highlights for me in this book. When she finds him cheating and eating a hotdog and when she breaks up with him at Burger King. Other than that I felt that reading this book was just a waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Come Undone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Long ago I started picking up Oprah picks. After about three I figured out that they are universally depressing. Now I avoid them at all costs.