Evelyn's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

May 29, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, action-adventure, protagonist-club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

Evelyn Natasha wrote: "Would you recommend this? You obviously loved it, but my book buddy positively despised it, so I'm unsure as to whether I should try it or not. :\"

Yes, I highly recommend it. Different people have different tastes, I guess...why exactly did your friend hate it? The reasons I liked this book were because the worldbuilding was great, the magic system was well-explained, and the characters were believeable. Then again, I already loved Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series, so perhaps I was biased. Still, I personally love this book, and indeed the rest of the Abhorsen series.

Evelyn Natasha wrote: "She said, "i was bored the whole time. Its totally weird and what the heck. i never really got what they were doing and why they were doing it. I never got what the bad guys were. This book is conf..."

Oh.

Some parts are admittedly ambiguous, but this book isn't boring (to me, at least) because Sabriel is a really empathizable main character and, well, the story itself is pretty interesting. It's been a while since I last read this, but she searches for her father and fights various necromantic creatures - I admittedly have a weakness for characters in a relatively modern and scientific world being thrust into situations dealing with magic and monsters, but even without that bias I recommend this book.

Of course, if I am in the minority and you read this book and end up hating it, feel free to cheerfully say, "I told you so." ^^