Lisa Allender's Reviews > Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

Plan B by Anne Lamott

May 29, 09

Read in January, 2006, read count: twice--I read it again, in 2008, after my doggie, "Frisco", passed away.

"Bird By Bird" was recommended to me by the fabulously talented Pearl Cleage, when I encountered her after her appearance(to promote her, at-that-time-upcoming book, "What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day") at Agnes Scott's Lit Fest. I believe this was in 1997 or 1998.
I read the book with excitement, and Anne Lamott(as well as Ms. Cleage) are favorite authors to this day.
"Plan B" was published in 2005, just a short time after the 2004 election.
Let me give you the first few lines of "Plan B". I dare you to NOT read this book, after you read the following lines:
"On my forty-ninth birthday, I decided that all of life was hopeless, and I would eat myself to death. These are desert days. Better to go out by your own hand than to endure a slow death by scolding at the hands of the Bush administration."
You'll roar with laughter as Ms. Lamott gives her prescient take on George W.
You'll see yourself in her incredibly irreverent view of what is "sacred". And you'll marvel at her faith--in herself, her family, friends--and an elusive entity she refers to as God.
Give yourself a gift this year: Anne Lamott!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plan B.