Cheryl's Reviews > Things Hoped For

Things Hoped For by Andrew Clements

May 29, 2009

it was ok

When this book was all said and done I did not like it. I read it because Analee owns it, I forget how, but I wanted to see what it was like. I gave it two stars because I love how the author connects the main character, Gwen, to her violin music as she strives to learn several different pieces for the auditions she has lined up for Julliard and two other highly ranked musical schools. There are two twists in the story that I didn't see coming. One twist gives good conflict to the story but the second twist came straight out of left field and stayed there. It had no business being in the story and did not flow with the main story line. It wasn't anything inappropriate but it should never have been in the book. Taken out, the story would have been much better and I also think the author could have ended the story better. I wanted to be able to go into Gwen's auditions with her and see how she took what she had learned from her experiences and allowed the outside world to melt away and just be completely connected to her music. But it didn't happen that way. I told Analee that I didn't like this book but it was alright for her to read. However, I can't really recommend it to anyone unless you want to find out what the left field twist is. WAY left field!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things Hoped For.