Rose Gowen's Reviews > Independence Day

Independence Day by Richard Ford

190812
May 29, 09

I've been thinking about this book a lot lately, too. I really liked it. I didn't think The Sportswriter was all that great, and I have no urge to read any other Richard Ford. I am turned off by his writerly persona, and I started an essay by him in Bookforum the other day which was too terrible to finish-- but I liked Independence Day.

The idea from that book that keeps coming to me is the idea of the "existence period"-- I have to look it up, I can't remember exactly what it was about.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Independence Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim I can't think of another writer whose assurance of his own greatness is so at odds with his mediocrity than Richard Ford.

message 2: by Steve (last edited Jun 01, 2009 09:12AM) (new)

Steve I tried The Sportswriter years ago, but coudn't finish it. I read a collection of short stories, and it was OK. He also edited an anthology of Best of Short Stories (Granta?), which didn't do much for me. I don't know anything about his persona, but after all these years, I think I know the type.

Rose Gowen I know. It really surprises me that I liked Independence Day, but I did.

The Sportswriter is not good.