Evelyn's Reviews > The Illustrated Man

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

May 29, 2009

bookshelves: 2014-summer, fantasy, science-fiction
Read in August, 2014

I remember being dissatisfied with The Cat's Pajamas: Stories, but I loved Something Wicked This Way Comes and most of the other stuff I've read by Bradbury, so I expected to like some and dislike some other books in this collection.

As it happened, I liked pretty much all of them. I haven't read much space exploration scifi but it's all right. Something that bothered me was the anti-science, anti-technology undercurrent I got in some stories, particularly "The Exiles." That kind of thing just makes me uncomfortable.

Favorites: "The Veldt" (domestic horror), "Kaleidoscope" ("Make a wish."), "Marionettes, Inc" (reminded me of Johnny Stecchino), "The City" (after reading Invisible Cities, it was inevitable that I should like this one), "Zero Hour" (skin-crawling without there ever being anything violent), "The Rocket" (heartwarming). This is a lot of favorites. What can I say? Bradbury was an excellent writer and his fanciful, fantastical stories are the ones that suit me best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illustrated Man.

08/09/2014 marked as: currently-reading