Caleb's Reviews > The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia

May 29, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Grown-ups who adored the Chronicles as kids
Read in May, 2009

This was an impulse borrow from the library, and while I'm not generally much of a reader of literary criticism, this book sucked me right in and ended up being one of those "can't put it down" type of reads I'm always hearing people talk about (but hardly ever experience myself).

The sub-title is actually rather misleadign, as the author does talk a bit about how learning of the Christian meanings Lewis weaved into her favorite books of girlhood made her feel betrayed and soured her to the work for years, but just a bit.

It's just one aspect of the work she looks at, including the way Lewis' biography may have informed the Chronicles, as well as his relationships with other authors (most notably Tolkein), the influence of his favorite writers and genres, the way he depicts women and other cultures and so on. In addition to personal anecdotes and scholarship, Miller also engages in plenty of interviews, and thus such various authorities as Phillip Pullman, Neil Gaiman and others share their thoughts on Lewis and his signature work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Book.