pri's Reviews > Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment

Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar

May 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in May, 2009

very simple but profound book. i found myself bookmarking a lot of sections and exercises to return to when i had a bit more time. certainly, reading it did not make me suddenly *happier* - but it gave me some things to reflect on more.

two quotes:

"The proper role of goals is to liberate us, so that we can enjoy the here and now. If we set off on a road trip without any identified destination, the trip itself is unlikely to be much fun. If we do not know where we are going or even where we want to go, every fork in the road becomes a site of ambivalence... If we have a destination in mind, if we more or less know where we are going, we are free to focus our full attention on making the most of where we are" pg 70.

"The psychologist Donald W. Winnicott observed that children playing in close proximity to their mothers display higher levels of creativity in their games than those who are father away... The circle of creativity is a space in which children can take risks and try things out, fall and stand up again, fail and succeed - because they feel secure and safe in the presence of a person who loves them unconditionally. Because adults are capable of higher levels of abstraction than children, we do not always have to be physically near our loved ones to be within their circle of creativity. The knowledge that we loved unconditionally creates a physiological space of safety and security" pg 114-115

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happier.