Marius van Blerck's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Mar 30, 10

did not like it
Read in June, 2009

This is one of the few classics that lays bare the massive scourge of the undead that blighted so much of English life in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It has been stated that Austen and Grahame-Smith's works critique the novels of sensibility of the second half of the eighteenth century and are part of the transition to nineteenth-century realism, while retaining an exquisite treatment of period manners. This is especially the case in this work, where Mrs Bennet seeks advantageous marriages for her five daughters amid bloody carnage and mayhem on a scale that makes Tarantino seem like a milktoast boy scout.

Confession: Actually I could not finish this book. What was rather funny in the first few pages quickly got rather boring ...
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

05/30/2009 page 1

Stellmaria You haven't read this book. You've made it obvious by writing a review that was a hundred times better than this book. No one should waste their hard earned money on this book in yes, I'll say it, this economy. Go ahead, I dare you to suffer through every page of this "masterpiece".

Marius van Blerck You have indeed found me out! I've added a last sentence to my review to confess my sin, and have downgraded the stars (not sure how I came to give 4 stars in the first place)!

message 3: by Reese (new)

Reese I loved the review and comments #1 & #2. Of course, I didn't read the review or the comments, but I feel certain that I would have loved them if I had read them since I give five-star ratings to everything --even comments.

message 4: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate I read 75% of it word for word but then had to skim through it to find out how the monstrosity would end. I am an Austen lover and zombie lover. This, however was a ridiculous and unsatisfying disaster.