Haley's Reviews > I am Rembrandt's Daughter

I am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen

May 30, 2009

bookshelves: couldn-t-put-down, historical-fiction, read-in-2009, romance, young-adult
Recommended for: girls who like teen historical fiction
Read in May, 2009

Cornelia has always been defined by her father, Rembrandt, the once-celebrated now notorious painter. Most call her the crazy artist's bastard child.
But when a man of esteem, Carel, takes an interest in her, she begins to think maybe she can escape her impoverished home, just like her brother, Titus did with the beautiful, bitchy Magdalena(can you tell I hate her? A lot?)
When the her father's apprentice, serious Neel, begins to notice her, she brushes him off- why would she want to be further associated with the unstable Rembrandt, who has never acknowledged her as his own?
I LOVE the format of this. It starts 1670 when Rembrandt's dead, then goes three years earlier in chapters. Every chapter or so is labeled by a painting of Rembrandt's and the story behind it from Cornelia's POV, like a flashback earlier.Beautiful imagery.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Rembrandt's Daughter.