Dejana's Reviews > Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour

Watching the English by Kate Fox

May 29, 09

Read in September, 2008

Now, why only 3 stars...It is well written and accurate portrayal of English people. I am so glad I read it before I moved to UK. It was amusing and funny as well. At first.
But then I started to be put of with Mrs. Fox contempt for anything "hippie" or "new age", and her love of MS (main stream). I couldn't even bring myself to finish the book because I am already in danger of seeing english people as well programmed robots. The amount of behavior that is dictated by society and rules is mind-blowing. Everything is regulated from the way they wait for the bus, to the way they communicate and joke around in pubs, to the way they behave behind close doors. Scary.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watching the English.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terry Yes, that is what annoyed me about the book. I am English and so are my friends and this book describes attitudes from 50 years ago that we have rebelled against in the 1970's. Why do you think we invented punk rock? And that was ,30 years ago! Young people are just not featured in this book only the staid attitudes of the over ,50's,!!