fyc's Reviews > The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography

The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

F 50x66
May 29, 2009

Read in May, 2009 , read count: 1

I really enjoyed this book. I chose to read it for two reasons: 1) It was an Oprah book club pick and I've never been disappointed in her picks and 2) I saw two Sidney Poitier films in my youth, Lillies of the Field and To Sir With Love, and fell in love with Sidney Poitier. Reading this book gave me cause to evaluate my life and take measure of who I am and how others perceive me. I love books that do more than entertain. I love books that make the reader think; that give the reader something to identify with; that challenge and encourage and this book does all that and more. It also gives great insight into the struggles that African-American actors went through during the fifties and sixties for their craft and for those actors that followed in their footsteps. It brings to the forefront those unseen forces that we don't see and take for granted when viewing these great films. Poitier also gives a fitting example for those that have been served injustice. We should all, regardless of race or gender, take heed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Measure of a Man.