Rosie's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Four

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

May 29, 2009

Read in August, 2009

Recently Justin borrowed this omnibus edition of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and I thought this would be a good time for me to read it for the first time. I tried to watch the movie when it came out on DVD, but I got bored and couldn't really get through the whole thing. I liked reading the books much better. I started off strong, but when I got to about the halfway point of the 3rd book, I started losing steam. I really like all of the Britishness and quirky humor and I grew pretty fond of a couple of the characters, but I did start to tire of it. Once I got into the forth book, I picked up speed again, because I really liked reading about Arthur's character more and I liked when he met Fenchurch. I'm glad that Zaphod and Trillian kind of faded into obscurity, because I never really liked them. I really liked all of the adventures in space and how everything pointed out the ridiculousness of our own world. I think my favorite part was the bit about the planet that shipped away all of their middlemen (management consultants, phone sanitizers, etc.) to another planet so they couldn't waste anyone's time anymore. If you haven't read this yet, I would recommend this book to anyone who's into incredibly British humor, satire, or light sci fi. I'm going to give the movie another go I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

07/21/2009 page 1
0.13% "I think this book is going to help me improve my sweet British accent." 2 comments
07/27/2009 page 375
48.83% "I'm liking this, I thought reading all four at once would be a slog but it's good!"
08/06/2009 page 670
87.24% "Alright, I'm almost done, and I'm definitely losing steam."