Patrick Peterson's Reviews > Radicals for Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement

Radicals for Capitalism by Brian Doherty

May 29, 2009

bookshelves: libertarian, history
Read in January, 2008

I generally liked the book and learned a fair amount of new things about this freedom movement that I have been passionate about for over 30 years.

I was very impressed with how Doherty understands so many key points of Austrian/free market economics and the diferences with the far more semi-free market Chicagoans. Even differences between Mises and Hayek were explained quite well.

I've read some reviews pointing out failings/errors, but they still seem to pale compared to how much he got right.

The detail is amazing, and a bit off-putting, especially when he deals with the foibles of certain leaders of the movement. One of my heroes, Leanard Read, for instance, seemed to have a strange philosophical/religious penchant. I had known precioius little about it before reading the book, except his semi-mystical references in various of his books, and kinda shrugged it off as not important. I still think it is less important than what great positive achievment he did make: founding and running FEE for so many years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radicals for Capitalism.