Constance's Reviews > Kissing in Manhattan

Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler

May 29, 2009

it was ok
Read in May, 2009

Totally misogynistic! I can’t even get into how awful the women characters are in this book.

Also, this book felt just slightly off in its grasp of people and emotions – almost like it was written by a very precocious and introspective high schooler who just hasn’t had enough real life experience or something. There was this oddly false sense of isolation around all the characters. It was also full of bad, eye-rollable writing like this: “For James was a lover of simple detail, a fan of wrought-iron fences and haiku.” I mean, come on. In another book perhaps this same sentence *maybe* could have worked well, but here it just felt like stupid and lazy writing. Really? Wrought-iron fences and haiku?!

But! This was a great book to read after W&P. It was sufficiently engaging and short and easy to read so as to make me not want to stop reading it, but bad enough so that I didn’t feel that emotionally invested in it, since I’m still reeling from my all-consuming and blindingly beautiful encounter with W&P (oh, the relationship analogies that can be applied to books – although no relationship I’ve ever had has come anywhere close to W&P, I should say). Also, it had all sorts of references to modern New York, which was nice since I recently started liking New York again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing in Manhattan.

09/03/2016 marked as: read

Deidre Right on review, wish it had kept me from reading this distasteful book.