Anna's Reviews > Acceptance

Acceptance by Susan Coll

May 29, 09

Read in April, 2009

25. 4/12/09: Acceptance, by Susan Coll. So when I described this yesterday as "a silly kind of modern chick-lit book," I was totally wrong. I was led astray by the colorful cover, upper-middle-class subject matter, and female author. Oops.

Anyway, the most compelling part of this book, which tells the story of three high-school seniors navigating college admissions, was the fact that I was dying to know where they ended up going to school. It was like being in a time warp back to my own seventeen-hood.

Hmm, what else? Well, comparisons could be drawn to Myla Goldberg's The Bee Season, because one of the characters is an obsessive-compulsive thief who steals her neighbors' junk mail. Perhaps anticlimactically, she doesn't end up descending into madness but instead into the cheerful college coed life.

The stories were kind of disjointed. The three seniors all attended the same high school, so they were linked fairly cohesively, but the parts about their mothers and also about the college admissions dean at fictional Yates College were sketchy.

Also, it was depressing.

There were at least two dogs, though, so bonus points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acceptance.