Hannah's Reviews > To the Hilt

F_50x66
Sep 06, 07

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in September, 2007

Dick Francis is quickly becoming my favorite mystery author, and one of my favorite authors in general! Every time I sit down with one of his books (usually hungering for something engrossing and interesting), I almost always have it finished by the next day, because I can't stop reading. Why would I want to? His stories are fast-paced, his characters charming and likeable without being too generic, and his plots intricately and well-constructed. It's just fun to read his stuff. And I almost always learn from them, which is bizarre. From "Shattered" I learned more than I'd ever known before about glasswork. From "Nerve" I learned an immense amount about steeplechase jockeys and the horse-racing world in general. I don't mean to get this information, it's just part of the story!
This book actually deals less with the world of racing than any of the other Dick Francis mysteries I've read. The hero, Alexander Kinloch, is an artist living alone in the wilds of Scotland on land owned by his Earl uncle (referred to in the book as "Himself"), and the only horses in the book are the ones Al paints and the horse he has to hide for his ailing stepfather, whose company has been plundered from within and is heading towards bankruptcy.
The characters in this story are enjoyable and fleshed out, the dialogue is enjoyable as ever, and it's a jem among an already fantastic trove of stories. There should be a catagory for leisure reading that's still intellectual and engaging. This book would fit in that catagory perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Hilt.