Stephanie 's Reviews > The Long Walk

Sep 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: bees, epubs, 2011
Read from September 08 to 11, 2011

Yet another ridiculous Stephen King novel. At this point, I don't even know why I bother. The handful of books I have read by him start with an amazing, interesting, and creepy idea, which is then completely ruined by his silly writing style. I especially hate the characters' dialogue.

The premise is fascinating: 99 teen boys embark on a Long Walk at a maintained speed higher than most venture on the treadmill. Warnings are administered, competitors are killed. Blah blah blah. It kind of has a Hunger Games feel, but that makes it sound much better than it actually is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Walk.

Stephanie I LOATHE King, but this isn't too bad so far. I love the whole dystopic feel. More to come.

message 2: by Loretta (new)

Loretta I often wonder how much more I'd enjoy his writing if it was edited more aggressively. If I had to guess, I'd say his clout (because not matter what, he sells truly staggering quantities of his work) means that he pretty much gets to say how his work is edited and published (see, e.g. the extended edition of The Stand). Because, as you say, his ideas and imagination are pretty spectacular, but it's the writing style (especially the wordiness and unnecessary detail) that gets in the way.

Stephanie Yep! I have read other spooky authors...Koontz, Saul, Simmons to name a few and they all write much better than King. Especially Simmons.

message 4: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL I read this years and years ago and have never forgotten it. Is this a new edition? Because I remember it being a short story/ novella?? I wonder if the ensuing years (and tremendous numbers of similar stories) have watered this down. Back when I read it, this and "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson were the only stories of their kind, at least that I even knew about.

Stephanie Just like with all other King books I have read...great premise that does hold up over time, but it is ruined by his writing style. Too bad someone else doesn't use his ideas to write for him!