Michelle's Reviews > The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World

The Means of Reproduction by Michelle Goldberg

F_50x66
Jul 03, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in June, 2009

Everyone needs to read this book. First of all, it's an eye-opening history of how America used to shove family planning down the throats of the rest of the world (we forget that this was a bi-partisan, anti-Communist motivation for many years.) And then we suddenly turned around and said, "no more condoms for you." You also get to learn from this book how the family planning issue came to dominate the Vatican, and how womens' rights is the answer to BOTH high birth rates in some countries and too low birth rates in others. Goldberg lays out a solid argument that the empowerment of women, including sponsored daycare and other help for working mothers in the West and grass-roots education and health care movements elsewhere, is essential to the future of our health, our environment, and the global economy.

For me, this book was a page-turner. It really helped me place feminism in a global context, and was extremely illuminating. I would also recommend this book to people on any side of these issues. Goldberg is very good at showing all sides of the issues and gives a nuanced account of sensitive issues like America promoting abortion abroad and selected abortion of female fetuses in India.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Means of Reproduction.