Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Born of Night

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Oct 16, 09

bookshelves: assassin, favorite-or-autobuy-author, futuristic, paranormal-romance, part-of-a-series, owned-copy, bodyguard-protector, hero-to-die-for, knight-in-tarnished-armor, science-fiction, space-another-planet, outlaw-fugitive
Recommended for: fans of futuristic/sci-fi romance and action, Sherrilyn Kenyon fans
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Okay, I think I am an official futuristic/space romance convert now. I loved what Ms. Kenyon did with this concept. I thought she did a very good job with the world-building, but I caught a couple of 'slips' where she would describe things that I really had trouble believing they would have in a futuristic setting on another planet. But then I have no creativity when it comes to making up technological devices and futuristic settings, so I can hardly judge her. Overall, I was happy and I didn't find those rare instances jarring. I think she did a great job coming up with the different cultures and races. It wasn't to the degree that I got bored, and neither was the technological references. I don't like my sci-fi to be top heavy with this kind of stuff. Just enough to make me believe the setting, thanks very much.

Some of the aspects with the League of Assassins Academy and the political structure aspects reminded me vaguely of Star Trek, but this book is not very much in that vein at all. If anything it is more like Firefly. Sigh. Yes, I definitely had happy reminders of the short-lived but brilliant show Firefly with this book. The characters aren't that similar but some of the aspects of the universe and the social/political structures are. There is the whole fancy politically-structured universe paired to the backwater planets theme that is prevalent in the Firefly universe. Also the group of smugglers and outlaws that Nykyrian associates with reminds me of heavily of the crew and passengers of Serenity, and some of the folks they encounter in the various episodes. That's where the similarity ends, because this story is Classic Sherrilyn Kenyon. Sorry, Malcolm Reynolds lovers. There is no Mal character in this book. But we have Nykyrian, and he rules this book.

A newbie to tortured heroes? Meet Nykyrian Quikiades. This man takes the cake for this hero archetype. Was that a bad thing for this reader? Certainly not. I love tortured heroes. Nykyrian earns his spot on my hero to die for list. I found myself rooting for him, crushing on him, and almost crying for him, and deeply feeling for him. That's a good sign.

And Ms. Kenyon reaffirms to me why I love her books with this novel. She writes romance novels that read like my favorite action/adventure movies (with the amped up romance that is usually missing from some of my cinematic fare of my choice). I know I talk about movies a lot when I review books. I can't help it. I am a Movie Buff and a Bookworm. Those areas often overlap for me. Anyhoo, there is a bit of Cleric John Preston in fair Nykyrian. Oh, yes. That is a good thing, since Cleric John Preston from Equilibrium is a Certified, Grade A Badass. So is Nykyrian. He is absolutely lethal and he doesn't have to concentrate to be that way. His lethality is actually hard for Kiara to deal with after he goes futuristic/medieval on some badguys who were trying to kill her. I had a little bit of a "I want to slap the heroine of this book really hard" moment when she treats him like garbage afterwords. I told myself to calm down and remember what she went through. She had been kidnapped and was tortured, had to watch her mother be tortured and killed, was almost murdered herself, and had survived several other attempts on her life. I could understand her dislike of violent people. However, there are some instances where violence is the answer for other violence. In other words, she lives in a shades of gray universe, not a black and white one. She should have been more conscious of that before she started condemning Nyk and his colleagues. There are many instances of violence towards her and the other characters, that really did demand a response in kind.

I was really glad that Nykyrian's friend Syn told her off. She needed to hear that because she had badly misjudged Nyk. I a not a fan of cruel bullies and conscienceless murderers (despite my love of antiheroes and assassins). It was clear to me early own that this was so not Nykyrian. I think that Kiara really needed a reality check on Nyk. She has a couple of moments where she shows some emotional immaturity that irked me, but overall, she really comes through for Nyk. So I guess she can have him (even though I want him all to myself).

He's got so much damage and pain in his past, present, and future. Ms. Kenyon says in the introduction that she added back the parts that the publisher would not allow in the first publication since they were too intense. Yup, they were intense. She definitely didn't pull her punches with this one. I haven't read Acheron yet, so I don't know if Ash had it worse, but gosh I don't know if I'll be able to stand it if he did. Nykyrian really had a crap life. Some really awful things happen to him, so the reader should be warned that some of this is not pretty at all. But it really helped me to understand the person that he is. No wonder he doesn't trust anyone and is cold, isolated, and lethal, or maintains a facade to this effect.

Kiara was a good heroine. She had her moments where she annoyed me, but she turns out to be the right woman for Nyk. Ms. Kenyon doesn't seem to do tormented heroines, and Kiara isn't exactly one. But she's had some bad stuff happen in her past that flavors her and gives her added depth. I liked the aspects of her career as a dancer. I think Ms. Kenyon must have known a dancer or have been a dancer, because this felt very authentic.

The love scenes are very light, so don't read this expecting a lot of steam. But I didn't mind that at all. I liked them, because they showed the tenderness and the connection between Nykyrian and Kiara.

I'm loving Nyk's friends and sidekicks. They were all very interesting, adding to the flavor of this book. The dialog between them was great. Kenyon certainly knows how to turn on the snark and to have you laughing. My favorite secondary character was Syn. I'm excited to read Syn's story. He's funny and interesting, and he's got a lot of anguish that should make for an interesting journey in his novel. I also really liked Darling. I hope he gets his happy ending (although it wouldn't be the traditional boy/girl kind of romance).

I don't want to give spoilers, but readers will find that Nyk's past intersects very heavily with his future, giving him closure and opens a door for new beginnings. I must say I enjoyed that aspect of this story.

I'm very glad that this League series came back into print. I love the setting and the characters, and it meets my sci-fi-loving needs, with some great romance and action in a wonderful combination. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

FYI: The short story in the Man of My Dreams anthology is about Nykyrian and Kiara's son. It's awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of Night.

10/13/2009 page 140
25.97% "Kiara seems like Ms. Kenyon's most tortured heroine so far." 2 comments
10/14/2009 page 309
57.33% "I'm so much more worthy of Nykyrian than Kiara is. Well, she's alright, I guess." 3 comments
10/14/2009 page 334
61.97% "This book is very cool. I'm getting a bit of a Firefly meets Star Trek vibe. That's a good thing for a sci-fi nerd." 8 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ally oooooo let me know what you think of this. I keep uming and erming over whether or not to buy it! Still can't decide!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm loving it so far. Nykyrian is super duper yummy!

Silvana~Duchess of Avonlea~ I read a chapter excerpt on this yesterday and it certainly grabbed my attention. Man oh man I thought Kiara was done for. Mmm Nykyrian dose seems dreamy. I know, I know you've probably already staked a claim. But remember you once told me sharing is caring.

I’ll be watching for your review.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'll be happy to share Nykyrian with you, Silvana. He is absolutely dreamy!

Debbie Have this one but have not read it yet.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It's a good one. Hope you enjoy it, Debbie.

Kaleigha Great review, Danielle. I could handle a Nyk of my own, too.

Julie Danielle, do you think I would like this book?

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Nov 16, 2009 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I think there is a strong chance that you will like it, Julie. In my review, I mention the things I had a little trouble with. If those don't bother you and you enjoy SK's writing, I think you'll enjoy it. Nyk is a great hero, IMHO.

Julie I was at Walmart last night and almost bought it but I thought I would check the reviews first. Thanks so much! =)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) You're welcome. I hope you do like it.

Shawna Great review, Danielle! I loved this! Ah Nyk..*dreamy sigh*!

message 14: by K. (new)

K. Danielle: Well, between the 10 stars you and Shawna have given this read . . . I believe I can't go wrong! Thanks for another great review! :)
K.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks Shawna and K. K, if you like a tortured hero, this is a must read!

Lauren I loved this book but the second one OMG!!! loved it even more. Syn is my man!

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Great review, Danielle! It's practically exactly what I think, too! I wanted to slap Kiara at that part you mentioned, and I was also glad that Syn told her off. She really had no right to judge Nykyrian because he was protecting her. Also, Nyk's past was utterly brutal, but I think that Acheron's past was far worse. Especially since you get about 500 pages of Ash's past as opposed to Nyk's memories and Kiara watching his videos. Acheron is so worth it, though.

And Lauren is right. Born of Fire is totally spectacular. It's my favorite of the series. Syn is totally smokin'. And Devyn from Born of Ice, Syn's son, is my second favorite.

Also, you mentioned wanting Darling to get a HEA. Well, the next story in the series to come out is Adron's in the The Other Worlds anthology, which is a book with a couple different Sherrilyn Kenyon stories. Then, Caillen's book is coming out after that. And, she's said that the next two books are going to be Darling and Hauk, with a surprise twist in Darling's. So I'm pretty excited and just thought I'd share that with you :)

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ ok so I read a sample of this and I'm in love cant wait to go get it. :)

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ just from reading the lil that I read he reminds me of Z and anything hero thats like him I have to read. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Can't wait to see what you think, Meme.

Leah, I'm sorry for the super late reply. Thanks for the information about Darling and Hauk's stories!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I can see some parallels to Z. Both very tortured and misunderstood.

Debbie Great book. Great series!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ ok so I"m getting now was going to go buy it in the store I forget sometimes I have a kindle fire lol! Ok so Lady D I need a character visual. Who would be a good Nykyrian in your eyes?

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Where have I been? I need to smack my head. Went to her website she has a whole character picture list how cool is that you know me and my visual needs lol... also I dug into my closet and found that I have every other book to this series how strange is that? smacking my head again...