YiShun's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

May 28, 2009

it was ok

i had high hopes for this book. the jacket says it's on par with anna quindlen, and that it's "high concept." then again, that review is from EW. anyway, i found this book to be very disappointing. about the only thing that's really interesting is the set-up in the book: a 13-year-old sues for medical emancipation from her parents, to prevent them from harvesting her body any more to save her sister from dying from leukemia. this story is told from many different points of view: the 13-year-old protagonist, the father, the brother, the mother, the attorney handling the case, even the court-appointed guardian in the legal case.
with so many characters, i expected richness of language, the feeling i get when i meet a roomful of interesting people at once, the sense of getting to know each and every one of them intimately.
tell me, then, why each and every one of them uses the same language? the 13-year-old speaks like a literary sophisticate. so do the rest of them, even the hard-knocks attorney.
lame. really, really, lame, and then ending just about did it for me. [/me throws this book across the room, too.:]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.