April Hochstrasser's Reviews > Dish: The Inside Story on the World of Gossip

Dish by Jeannette Walls

May 28, 09

Read in May, 2009

If you don't think the world of gossip is bought and paid for by the people who are portrayed, think again. This was an eye opening book about the back story of publications such as People and the Enquirer and TV shows such as Entertainment Tonight. I was very much surprised at the deals that are struck by the stars and the rags, (If you'll give us a scoop about your alcoholic son we won't publish a story about your infidelities). All the popular names in recent history, JFK, Bobby Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Cher, Bette, Whoopi, Trump, Ivana, etc. have really false public personas that have been well crafted by the media for the entertainment of the public. There is some truth but more of it is lies. For example, Donald Trump, through the media claimed to be worth $50 billion, then he was getting loans and doing business based on that amount. The real amount was closer to $50 million....but he didn't want anyone to know that. Not worth the read unless you are really into gossip about the stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dish.