Stephanie's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters: includes Screwtape Proposes a Toast

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

F_50x66
Apr 04, 07

Recommended for: Searchers who can take it
Read in January, 1996

Let me preface by saying I do not follow any one religious path. I'm a searcher, and I'm not sure if I'll ever settle on one faith. That said, The Screwtape Letters, an intense rumination on good and evil, as told through the letters of one demon to another, is a work I feel everyone should read, if to do nothing but understand the true nature of evil. I'll admit, I picked up the book because I thought a tale told by a demon would be kind of cool... sexy in a dark fun kind of way. The experience of reading it was anything but that. It was fully engrossing -- far better than mere fun. It did what the best books always do; it expanded my understanding of the world around me. It gave me something I've kept with me since. A valued, and somewhat terrible knowledge. My copy included a forward that explained that C.S. Lewis had to recover from writing it. After reading and processing his work, I know why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Jesus Christ is the Way, truth, and the life (:

David Sarkies It certainly does help us perceive the world around us in a different kind of way, and the method he uses is certainly different.