Tori's Reviews > Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her

Girl Sleuth by Melanie Rehak

Jun 02, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in June, 2009

4.5 stars. I'm not sure why I can't give it 5 stars......, because I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maybe part of it's because the title annoys me...... the "women" who created her.....when the book relates the fact that a man was the one who came up with the original idea!
I'm not big on non-fiction usually - but this story was so enthralling! Like many others, I loved Nancy Drew as a child, and was so interested to read about her history. I did not realize the controversy that surrounded her authorship, nor did I realize all the changes she went through. I must say, I'm glad I had the opportunity to read the books before they turned into "fluff" in some of their re-issueings.
This book paints a very detailed picture of the times. that's something I'm appreciating more and more now - being able to look at an event and see what was going on in the world that influenced it. Nancy really did mirror the changes women were going through, both in fashion and independence. the books mirrored current trends in thought at times.
One of the ND authors spoke of not wanting to insult the intelligence of young girls by writing down to them. I like that goal. Nancy continually rose to the challenge of every situation she encountered. who wouldn't want to be like her?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Sleuth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara Nancy Drew and the Man/People Who Created Her just doesn't have the same ring to it!

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz I may have to read this one. I LOVED Nancy Drew books, and wanted to be just like her when I grew up. I still think about her when I put my foot on the gas pedal, preparing to move ahead when the traffic light changes - just like Nancy, I don't want to be caught not paying attention!

Sheryl Tribble Speaking as an author who has co-written a few things, I think of the people who put flesh on the outline as the "creators". Nancy was Edward Stratemeyer's idea, but ideas are cheap -- I have dozens and dozens of books outlined myself, most of which I'll never write, and some of which I'd happily hand to someone else to bring alive (the ones I'm more proprietary about are somehow connected to characters I've actually worked with).

Sitting down and actually writing the thing is where the character takes life. Granted, I also write stuff *without* an outline, where the character just shows up in my head and demands to be written, but that's a totally different process. No outline, therefore much messier. In my experience, if the character is tame enough to be born in an outline, they're just words on a page; they still need that spark of life that makes them real and memorable.

I'm guessing that's the thought behind the title. In the case of Nancy Drew, Edward Stratemeyer was more midwife than parent.