Tanja's Reviews > Forest Born

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

Jul 15, 09

Having grown up in a large family I could instantly identify with Rin. She is the youngest agget-kin and just does not know where she fits. So she imitates. How many of us do this? We try to figure out what our parents, brothers, sisters, friends want us to be and we try to imitate that. Rin was grown up for her age of 15. She was introspective and aware that she is not the only one that matters. Very unlike normal teenagers. I enjoyed this book the most out of the bayern series. I feel like I have watched the characters grow up and change. Isi has become a mother and a queen, Enna has learned to love herself and others, Razo has come to understand that even normal people hold great power, and finally Rin learned that it is the person who makes gifts what they are, not the gift itself.
Shannon Hale writes fairy tales for the teenage girl. And frequently her message is that we can do hard things. That is something lost in our culture. I also believe that there are people who have people-speaking. I have met them, and they will destroy those that are closest to them. Yet, the ones they hurt keep coming back. I wish when I was a teenager I could have spotted these people better and then I could have avoided them. A very worthwhile read! Move over Cinderella and Snow White. There are new girls in town and they can actually kick butt.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Amie WOW! You amaze me. You summed the book up so well. It was definitely a book to savor. We have got to get ahold of more ARCs. I think it should be our new hobby!

RedPath I'm biting my nails waiting for this book!

Misty I'm not a teenager girl, and I still LOVED this book, and the whole series. It is wholesome, well written, and fun. I also feel like I've known a few people with the gift of people-speaking, but I have witnessed them used it in a way to bless others, in an encouraging, uplifting, loving way...the way I see it, every gift given can be used for good or for evil (fire, water, wind, animal-speaking, etc.). As in the case with Selia and her fire-speakers, who were making the choice to use it for evil. All the gifts could have been used for destruction if the person chooses to. Inside all of us is a gift, and if used properly, will be a blessing.