travelmel's Reviews > The Amulet of Samarkand

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

May 27, 2009

bookshelves: recommended-by-bailey
Read in January, 2011

This is the first book of what claims to be a trilogy but THANK GOODNESS I just found out is not! The fourth book came out already! I am SO happy.

The first book is really good and the second and third top it slightly which is saying something. The language and vocabulary are AMAZING and the writer never writes "down" to children (or young adults) in any way. In fact, I really wish I had read this on a Kindle so that I could automatically look up the definition of some of the words that came at me! But, I listened to it instead and I'm really happy I did. The reader is WONDERFUL and I'm surprised he hasn't won millions of awards. He sounds like Tim Curry. He ranks in my top three along with the reader for the Bloody Jack series.

I really liked this series and by the time I was on the third book these people were old, comfortable friends of mine and I loved them all.

You can read the summary of the book but I'm just here to tell you that ADULTS WILL LIKE THIS BOOK! It's very entertaining and I hope you will give the audiobook a chance. The reader is amazing!

P.S. Yes, the characters are hard to "root" for in the first book but roll with it.... you'll be happy you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amulet of Samarkand.

message 1: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra Sounds great! I added it to read!

travelmel I hope you like it, Tarra :)