Shesten's Reviews > The Hunger Games

May 31, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: owned, hardcover
Read in May, 2009

Plot Sketch: Katniss Everdeen has taken care of her family ever since her father died. In her dreary existence in District 12, the coal mining district, she illegally hunts with her friend Gale in the forest outside of the gates to provide for her family. She's a whiz with her bow and arrows. Time comes around for The Reaping, an event where names are drawn out to determine who goes to the Capitol to compete in the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games were instituted after the revolution failed and the Capitol annihilated District 13, leaving the other 12 districts to send two tributes, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12-18, to the games each year to compete. Naturally, Katniss ends up going to the Games (otherwise, we'd have a different main character, right?) and this is the tale of her journey.

Verdict: No Love. I have a lot to say about our society de-evolving into a blood thirsty mess of morality, but I shall not expound on that here. Mostly, I was disappointed that I already knew what the ending was by the circumstances presented in the early stages of the book. Knowing already that there was a Book 2 means that the characters cannot die. Some bits of foreshadowing that let you know that the book is going to end exactly like you want it to. I do think that Collins did a good job of describing the world that she created in the Hunger Games with one mathematical exception: a train that travels 250mph cannot take 2 days to get from Appalachia to the Rockies (please correct me if I'm wrong). It seems to me like it's bits of The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Lord of the Flies, Star Trek, and The Lottery all mixed into one. Am I saying she ripped these ideas off? No. I just didn't think they were original. As I discussed a little on Twitter, I also think that my expectations were too high for this book, everyone (including personal friends) talked it up so much that I was expecting a lot more out of it than what I got.

more at http://www.iheartmonster.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.