Erik Graff's Reviews > Wired

Wired by Bob Woodard

May 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: biography
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: Belushi fans
Read in May, 2009 , read count: 1

Why did Bob Woodward do this book? It's like his others: reconstructed events and conversations based on numerous interviews, many of them conducted by an assistant of the author. But unlike the other, political, books, Woodward has no insight whatsoever into the drug culture, no personal familiarity with Belushi, no hint of a sense of humor. Rather than a biography, this is more an account of the subject's progressive degeneration, justified perhaps as a moral tale about what the temptations of success and an access to money can do to a person.

I found reading it depressing, although the references to Chicago, to Second City, to Saturday Night Live and to seventies pop culture were, given my background, interesting. SNL along with Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was about the only '70s tv show I actually watched with some regularity, SNL coming on while I was on duty as a security guard in seminary and the security center having a small b&w set.

Friends of Belushi objected to Woodward's treatment. One can see why. His portrayal is two-dimensional and invites no sympathy. Although drug abuse is mentioned ad nauseum, sexual excess and infidelity is only, albeit frequently, alluded to. Presumably this was done to protect the feelings of Belushi's widow and perhaps the reputations of some of his informants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired.

06/12/2016 marked as: read