Stacy's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Mar 26, 10

bookshelves: books-movies, humorous
Read in March, 2010

Bridget Jones was my “break” book. When I couldn’t turn one more page of “War and Peace”, I decided to pick up the most frivolous, lightweight book on my shelf. I then gloried in the smooth way I could drink the British words in, as opposed to cramming verbosely complex sentences by Tolstoy into my already overstuffed brain cavities.

This was a deliciously indulgent read. Bridget made me laugh out loud with a perfect combination of “So I’m NOT the only one to have felt that way!” and “Man, at least I’m not THAT pathetic/clumsy/unhealthy/etc.!” Thus, she is a perfect companion.

I think it’s important to know that Bridget began as a character in a humorous column Fielding wrote for a newspaper, and that she purposefully made Bridget an over-exaggerated caricature of the typical modern-day, female “singleton”. In that sense, she is one of the most accessible characters I have encountered, without necessarily being realistic. She symbolizes all of the inner insecurities that lie within us, while offering a sense of comfort and helping us to laugh at ourselves.

I agree fully with the supposition that if you have a choice between a sexy jerk and a good man in an ugly sweater, better choose the latter- particularly if his name is Mr. Darcy.

Only downside: Found self conducting inner dialogues and analysis in similar manner to Ms. Jones. Entertaining (v.g.) but a bit weird and self-indulgent (poor).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danae (new)

Danae I started reading Leven Thumps with my 8-year-old and had to laugh when the "good" character had sons named Darcy and Rochester (Mr. Rochester being the hero of Jane Eyre)...if only my husband would have let me name my sons after the heros of my favorite books, because you're right--you can't go wrong with a guy named Darcy!

Stacy I already got shot down when I suggested the name Darcy to my husband as potential future child's name. What's up with guys dogging the Darcy? Maybe when he finishes his current book (P&P&Zombies) he'll warm up to the idea.

message 3: by Danae (new)

Danae We actually named our dog Bingley--he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and Mr. Bingley's first name is Charles in the book. It amused me. But you'll probably get further trying to name a goldfish Darcy than you will with a child. I'm not sure Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will help your cause, but you never know!