Rach's Reviews > Improper English

Improper English by Katie MacAlister

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: ebook, challenge-11-fall, 2011
Read from November 14 to 15, 2011

Ok. I'll admit it. I went through a phase were I read a lot of romance novels. A LOT. A sort of ridiculous amount. You could say I swooned into a pit of cheese and couldn't seem to fight my way out. The lifeline that eventually pulled me out was Goodreads, which widened my scope of reading and encouraged me to pick up different kinds of books. That being said, I still had a soft spot for the comfort and ease of romance, and so I thought I'd take a break from more "serious" reading to read this one by Katie MacAlister, whose books I remember really enjoying back in the day.

I ended up reading this in one night, mostly because I knew if I stopped, I would never finish it, and that seemed wasteful when I'm behind on my yearly reading goal. But really, it was quite terrible. Alix, the main character, was whiny, obnoxious, self-centered, and flighty. I wanted to yell at her to grow up and stop being so ridiculously stupid. And yes, she has a revelation towards the end and "turns her life around," because a better person so she can be with the man she loves with all her heart (who she met 2-3 months previously, by the way). That revelation, though, didn't seem real to me. It didn't seem real that Alix and Alex (yes, they really had the same name) would fall in love so quickly when they didn't really seem that well matched. Anything that relies on "instant, unexplainable chemistry at first touch" to explain why two people are together seems utterly ridiculous and unbelievable.

Which leads me to wonder, was I deluded all those years ago, when I thought these kinds of books were fun and enjoyable and somehow well-written? Or maybe I have just become so skeptical of that kind of unrealistic, instant love, that it's farcical and incomprehensible to me now. It's logical that tastes change, and it could be I just don't like these kind of stories anymore. Or maybe this one is just particularly distasteful to me. Whatever it is, the likely outcome is I probably won't pick up a traditional romance novel for a while.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Improper English.