Mike's Reviews > Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry

Ring of Hell by Matthew Randazzo V

May 27, 09

Read in May, 2009

"Ring of Hell" was supposed to be telling of the story of professional wrestler Chris Benoit. Some of you that watch the news might remember his name. He's the wrestler that went nuts, killed his wife and child and then himself. No one really knows why he did these horrible things but it does seem that steroids and drug abuse and the physical abuse his body took during his career has something to do with his madness.
It was sort of an interesting read if you still have interest in professional wrestling. It was reasonably well written. It's hard to read a book that's supposedly journalistic in nature when the author obviously has a bias. I'd have preferred that Randazzo would've just told the stories he was told rather than characterize the players in them as dupes or devils or whatever other things he called them. I'm sure some of the things in the book were true but far too many of the quotes were from anonymous sources and stories told by people that weren't actually present when they happened.
Randazzo quite obviously thinks wrestling promoters are evil, wrestlers themselves are idiots and wrestling fans are ignorant schmucks. It's not a great selling point when you look down your nose at the very people you want to buy your book. I'm glad I read it but I'm also glad I didn't buy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ring of Hell.