Sheryl Smith's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

May 27, 09

Read in April, 2009

This is one of those OMG books. I was drawn toward it for months before I finally had the nerve to check it out of the library. Then I renewed it twice before I finally had the nerve to start reading it!

I dreaded reading it, yet felt entirely compelled to read it at the same time.

It is a sad, scary, is-this-real? kind of story.

The book is written in the form of a series of letters from a wife to her husband. In the letters, she reviews their life, particularly their life after the birth of their first born child.

As the letters progress, we learn that something is very wrong in this family. At the outset, we learn that Kevn, the first born, has shot a bunch of people at his school and is now in jail.

We soon learn how sadistic this child is and how much he dominates the fabric of the family.

I'll sum it up by saying it is a white-knuckle read and well worth the effort!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annette (new)

Annette I have this book...bought it on a clearance table at Borders and was almost embarrassed to buy it because it seemed like such a weird topic to read about for "entertainment" but now I will have to dig it out! I'm reading Nineteen Minutes right now by Jodi Picoult about a school shooter. Maybe this will be an interesting follow up. Hopefully not too much.