Connie's Reviews > The Professor & the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity & the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

The Professor & the Madman by Simon Winchester

Jun 29, 09

Read in June, 2009

I was really surprised at how much I liked this book. It was on our TBR list for the busy as a bee group. And I picked it because it did look somewhat interesting but most importantly it was short. It seems like the list had too many HUGE books on it and I am not a fan of really thick books, they are so time consuming.

Anyhoo, this was so interesting. I had never put any thought into the making of a dictionary and found the process was actually very clever. Another thing that surprised me was that the first dictionaries were made for women and unintelligent men! HA! You know how us women need help with those hard words that the smart men are using!

How disappointing that neither Minor or Murray lived to see the project finished.

And Dr. Minor had such a sad tragic life. I liked how the author tied in to how things could have been so different in today's world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Professor & the Madman.

06/23/2009 page 104