Helena's Reviews > As Intermitências da Morte

As Intermitências da Morte by José Saramago
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Intermitências da Morte.

Quotes Helena Liked

José Saramago
“Words have their own hierarchy, their own protocol, their own artistic titles, their own plebeian stigmas.”
tags: words

José Saramago
“We never consider that the things dogs know about us are things of which we have not the faintest notion.”

José Saramago
“One cannot be too careful with words, they change their minds just as people do.”

José Saramago
“Whether we like it or not, the one justification for the existence of all religions is death, they need death as much as we need bread to eat.”

José Saramago
“However hard he tried, he could never manage to make himself visible to human eyes and not because he can't, since for him nothing is impossible, it's simply that he wouldn't know what face to wear when introducing himself to the beings he supposedly created and who probably wouldn't recognize him anyway. There are those who say we're very fortunate that god chooses not to appear before us, because compared with the shock we would get were such a thing to happen, our fear of death would be mere child's play. Besides, all the many things that have been said about god and about death are nothing but stories, and this is just another one.”