Mike Jensen's Reviews > The Three Sisters

The Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov

May 27, 09

Read in May, 2009

I wonder if Chekhov's plays will be read and performed in 100 years? Our values have so evolved from the values of his characters, and our world has so evolved, that I wonder if readers, directors, and theatergoers will someday say, "Quit wining and take some responsibility for your life!" It will be hard to blame them, for there is a lot of wining. The three sisters of the title are dependant of the men in their lives for a place to live and sustenance, first their father and then their brother (in the case of the oldest, her husband), and are forced to live in a dull outpost where they long for the glitter they remember from their time in Moscow. Today, some would say, "Get a job and move," but those of us who are older have memories of unempowered women. 100 years hence? It would be interesting to know. This translation dropped a star for being more faithful to Mamet's sensibilities then Chekhov's.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Sisters.

Petra Interesting review. The position of women has changed a lot, and I hope it's going to change some more, especially in people's minds. However, I have to disagree with one thing. I think people still whine a lot and dream about better lives. But when it comes to action only a few of us are willing to risk, to give up something in order to have a better life, don't you think?

message 2: by Mike (last edited Feb 17, 2012 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Jensen Petra wrote: "I have to disagree with one thing. I think people stil..."

I think that people do as you say, but I also think that those who listen to others whine often lack patience and sympathy. I wrote of those people, which I'm not sure you understood, at least when you made your last comment.

Petra Ah, I apologize, I got it wrong. Then I agree! :)

Mike Jensen WELL DONE!