Casey's Reviews > The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins

Sep 05, 07

bookshelves: knowledge-is-good
Recommended for: science and animal lovers
Read in June, 2007

After finishing The Selfish Gene, I rushed out to the store to buy another of Dawkins' books. While the size of this tome was quite intimidating, I found the premise utterly fascinating. The narrative traces humans' evolutionary ancestry, from primates to "concestor zero," or the beginning of life on Earth.

Dawkins' knowledge of zoology shines as he gives examples of the fascinating animals that share some of our genes. Readers will undoubtedly learn about plants and animals they had never heard of before, from Australian marsupials to the strange creatures that inhabit Madagascar. The book reads like a novel, and after finishing it I feel more connected, not just to my own species, but to all the creatures around me that share in this crazy thing called life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ancestor's Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori I havn't read this yet , but I just finished Carl Sagan's Shadows of our Ancestors. Anyone else read this lately? This book sounds the same, anyone have any comparisons between the two? Lori