Karina's Reviews > A Philadelphia Catholic in King James's Court

A Philadelphia Catholic in King James's Court by Martin Deporres Kennedy

Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: fiction, catholic, young-adult, own
Read in March, 2010

My first impressions when I just began the book weren't so great. I found it jarring the way the point of view switched from one person to the next at the start. It got better when the actual apologetics part came around, although it was a bit unrealistic... The protagonist was so brave in defending the faith! Once he learned a bit about the Bible and all the divisive issues between Catholics and non-Catholic Christians, he wasn't met with many arguments of any substance. When he presented his Biblical evidence, there was no adequate response on the substance of the matter.

A few times, I sort of wanted someone to tell the protagonist that when he saw no results from these discussions that he shouldn't expect to convert the opponents on the spot or something! It was after only two discussions that he nearly despaired and decided to abandon apologetics for a span of half an hour. All you can do is explain that there are valid reasons why Catholics believe what they do, and the rest is up to the Holy Spirit.

I liked this book; it was fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Philadelphia Catholic in King James's Court.