Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)'s Reviews > Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Aug 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: comics, tv_tie-in, ze_2010_challenge_1st_in_series, re-read
Read in August, 2010 , read count: 3

Ok, I'm a bit back to Jareth as a Pedo "I won't peak, I promise" ewwwww.

Last read: May 27th, 2009

This book seems to have been thought of with the sole purpose of making more money out of the Labyrinth franchise. It was and is an ill conceived idea that has an end result that is enjoyable, a sort of Monty Python meets Alice in Wonderland feel, but it's NOT LABYRINTH! This is not how I envisioned Labyrinth going on and I think it actually does a disservice to the movie that girls of my generation revere. Just because the idea of Jareth as manga sounds like it will work and looks visually interesting does not mean it should be done.

The comic's plot is about Jareth still being obsessed with Toby, which I don't buy, because Toby was just a way to get to Sarah, and how Toby must enter the Labyrinth and take his place as king because Jareth is doing poorly. The first installment ends with Jareth proclaiming Toby his successor and then buggering off. The only thing I really liked was the Queen of Cups and her daughters are interesting.

So final thoughts, the first time I read this Jareth came across as a bite of a pedo, but I didn't think that so much this time. Traveling Matt (aka the Fraggle) showing up at Jareth's party, as well as other little Henson jokes are funny. But most importantly, the writer Jake T. Forbes says that he was strongly influenced by Terry Jones of Python fame, and his script, where Terry Jones himself has stated the fact that the script that was filmed was in no way connected to his, so therefore basing the comic on this fact is ill researched and thought out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1.