Felicia's Reviews > Altered Carbon

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

May 26, 2009

bookshelves: sci-fi

Liked these books a lot. Misogynist but whatever, hardboiled sci-fi was fun :)
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered Carbon.

01/29 marked as: read

Sandi This was one of the best books I read last year. I didn't notice it being misogynistic. I thought he was an equal-opportunity misanthrope.

message 2: by Erik (last edited May 27, 2009 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erik I think he's a little over the top when it comes to the sex (even more in his non-Kovacs novel "Black Man" aka "Thirteen"), but it's tough to beat hard-boiled cyberpunk! Also one of my favorite authors and series of all time, and I agree with Sandi, easily one of the best books I read all year.

message 3: by David (new)

David I really like Morgan's books, too. Haven't read "Woken Furies" yet, or the fantasy one, but they're in the pile next to my bed. "Thirteen" is great, too. Fantastic sci-fi noir.

Will Allen Ooooh I'm gonna have to check out 13.

Sandi Will wrote: "Ooooh I'm gonna have to check out 13."

Thirteen was amazing. Violent, gory and amazing. I usually don't like violence in books, but Morgan doesn't whitewash or glorify it. He shows the consequences and it's amazing.

Steve Ochs Felicia, I'm just about done with it, but Ortega and Kawahara are both principal characters and strong women. I'm surprised you found it misogynistic.

Toke Eriksen Using the C word does not make a book misogynist,. Possibly the least misogynist passage I've ever read comes from this book:
Drunk one night, Sarah had told me "Women are the race, Tak. No two ways about it. Male is just a mutation with more muscle and half the nerves. Fighting fucking machines." My own cross-sleevings had borne that theory out. To be a woman was a sensory experience beyond the male. Touch and texture ran deeper, an interface with environment that male flesh seemed to seal out instinctively. To a man, skin was a barrier, a protection. To a woman it was an organ of contact.

message 8: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan S. Harbour Misogynist. Another unfortunate english word, like homophobe, repeated so often that people stop thinking about how badly they're abusing it. Using women is not misogyny. Just like hating homosexuals it no a phobia.