Dev Null's Reviews > Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber

Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber by John Gregory Betancourt

Aug 28, 13

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: being set adrift in the void, where it can do no further harm
Read in January, 2005

Ugh. Just read the third one in the series and it got worse; nothing resolved and nothing really interesting happened. I got the impression the author didn't know how many books in the series the publisher would pay for, so he was trying to keep everything open in case they'd cough up for more. The actual crimes against fiction committed by this particular volume are the same as I complained about in my review of the first, only to a greater extent, so I won't bother to enumerate them again.

And another thing. I'm the first person who'll tell you most modern fantasy is too long-winded, but I do like to get my moneys worth out of a book. This series was a large-sized trade paperback, with huge typeset, huge margins, and huge spacing. Looked like one of those reports you do in school where you've been told to write 6 pages on a topic... I mean sure, be brief, but don't then pad it out so you can charge me more for it; just leave it short if you have nothing to say. I dont really blame the author for that though; bad publisher, no biscuit! (ibooks)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber.