Sara's Reviews > The Fixer

The Fixer by Bernard Malamud

Jun 01, 09

Read in June, 2009

I bought this book in college and it's been sitting on my shelf unopened until last week. This novel was written well, and it was based on a true incident where a Jewish man was tried and convicted of murdering a Russian boy who was actually killed by his own mother. It was set in Russia during the reign of the last zsar (1905-ish), at a time of intense anti-semitic hatred--it reminded me of Fiddler on the Roof, but I haven't checked to see if it's the same time. Yakov is an ironic Christ figure in the novel--an innocent Jew persecuted by a "Christian," Jew-hating government set on convicting him despite their lack of motive, credible evidence, or logic against him. In fact, his fate is worse because he is innocent, and he seems to represent the struggle of all the Jews--he is punished for the entire race. I know it is an "important" book, and everyone probably "should" read it, but I don't think I would recommend it. Definitely not light reading, but if you want to read something intensely frustrating and painful, be my guest.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer.