Heather's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

May 26, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, urban-fantasy, ya
Read in September, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

06/09/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-21)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Rosanne Interesting review. When I heard about these characters, my first thought was that Clare was running out of ideas because they seemed so similar to peop ...more Interesting review. When I heard about the character's my first thought was that Clare was running out of ideas because they seemed so similar to people we have seem before. Your high rating is encouraging!

Miss Clark Your review gives me hope for this series after so many unfavorable reviews:)

Sandra I haven't read the Mortal Instruments Series yet (just ordered it... can't wait!), but I still feel pretty much the same about this one as you do. I enjoyed it and the action was good, but I wasn't as captivated and enthralled as I get with other books. I also feel like an ass for hoping Tessa ends up with Will instead of Jem, despite how great Jem seems, but part of that is Tessa's obvious affection for/interest in Will over Jem. But while being the troubled bad boy is all well and good, I felt like Clare should have given us a little more tid-bits of what caused this black soul everyone seems to think he has, besides a vague reference to "a box" and him "losing everyone." Tessa was a great character, and I can't help but wonder what else is in store for her... potential spoiler... and possible random guess... but I feel like they might discover that her mother (unknowingly) was a Nephilim. It would explain why she's not warlock marked, and notice that when her and Jem were trapped outside the institute she didn't actually try to open the door, just said she knew she couldn't because only a Nephilim can!

Heather Great theory Sandra, only if Tessa's mother is Nephilim, that would mean that Tessa and Nate do not share a mother as Shadowhunter blood is dominate. It's plossible for sure though. As for TMI, it is so much better than this series. Jace was 10 times the character Will is. Where Will keeps everyone at bay in order to prevent hurting them, or so I guess, Jace kept everyone at arms length to keep himself from being hurt. Besides, Jace is just, well, better, hopefully you will see what I mean soon :)

Miss Clark, I hope that you don't hinge it all on my review. I won't lie, this book is much more difficult to get into than TMI, but...compare it with Shiver, Nightshade, Twi, etc. and it well earns the 4 stars I gave it, imo.

Miss Clark Non. Simply I was seriously not going to bother, but now I again think it is at least worth a look. Thank you for the fair warning, though.

Hannah I felt the same way you did. TMI just had that spark of life that Clockwork Angel didn't.

message 15: by Camillalala (new)

Camillalala Great review! I loooove the mortal instruments and was hoping this would replace my jace withdraw

message 14: by Camillalala (new)

Camillalala Thanks for the funny and witty summary!

Stephanie I just want to say that I love jace as well! And though I like will because he reminds me of jace, jace is just so much better! I think I love him.

message 12: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy I loved TMI the first 3 books were great but I got bored at book 4 it seemed too much had changed then I read them again and only got halfway through the second book. When I had been a fan I pre-ordered TID book 1 and I fell in love the characters seemed to have bigger and better thought through life stories and personalities. I completely disagree the others are better and I am a bit annoyed you find london a bad back drop since I am from there and I think it gave different readers a chance to experience something they new. Also the different time period is good because as I said it draws in different readers. These books actually made me realise how much TMI sucks! The story lines are to boring, valentine is so fake, clary is to goody goody but also vapid, simon was such a stereotype of a geek actually lots of the characters were! Isabelle- mean hot girl, magnus- OTT gay guy, clary- damsel in distress and Alec- closet gay. The characters are too simple!!! TMI never made me cry once but TID had me sobbing my way through both books. The only thing I like about TMI is jace cause he has depth and he reminds me of will oh god!!!poor will crying again!!! I dont like Jen in the story but at least I feel something towards his character unlike in the mortal instruments
(sorry for attacking your opinions just needed to express mine it is obvious we like very different books,sorry!!!)
Come on people anyone agree with me???

Marie I completely agree with you Izzy, i happen to love the infernal devices series because of the Victorian London backdrop and I actually felt compassion for the characters and thats something. :)

Brydie I would just to let you know that he is MY boyfriend and not your husband I have even made up the sixth book in my head on how it ends up with clary and jace and also just to clarify this his last name is light wood or also could be called herondale

Anna Ok Birdie?... I COMPLETELY agree with you, Heather. Every point you expresses about TID series is exactly how I felt. The setting is boring and seems disappointingly like an after-thought. And it's certainly not because I am from New York, Izzy. I have never been to either New York or London, but there is nothing in TIF that would compel me to visit the home of these characters.
I also agree that there is something lacking in the essential make-up of Will. I am on my second round of trying this series out, hoping that I missed something the first time.
Thank you for your review, heather. I look forward to reading more of your thought on other books! :)

Jocelyn THIS IS LONG:
Hi Heather. I've been reading (and loving!) many of your reviews (shiver[blech]/paramormalcy[BLECH]/tmi[hearts all around]) and this is the first one which I have found any disagreement with. I'm actually shocked that you were so disappointed with c. angel, and I see you have yet to review and/or read the remaining books in the series-which gives me hope for them to change your mind. *fingers crossed!*
While I agree that the book is driven more slowly forward than TMI, and some of the characters lack a certain amount of depth, or so it seems, I went into this series knowing what I know about the way Clare writes and weaves her stories together. I expected no amount of closure or pace, and spent the majority of my time reading with the sheer intent of discovering which breadcrumbs she casually dropped along the way would later become the most important details of the plot. It's wasn't as blatantly entertaining as her predecessors, but I felt that it was more clever, dark, and mature than anything else she had written. In fact, as I've been reading the remainder of TMI and ID(in order of publication, of course), I've found myself to be significantly less interested in jace/clary and physically ill over my concern for will/tessa. I hope you can give it another chance and finish out the series!

Goddess Of Blah Good review!

I'm glad I read your review. I didn't think she'd be able to recreate historical London very well. The same way I wouldn't be able to write about historical NY like an American could (even though I've lived there).

And I loved this ", Jace Wayland is my fictional husband,"

There si only one Jace! (I think he's a take on Draco from the HP series). Hence, no more recreations. Leave it be!

Katelyn I fell in love with these books from the very first page. I own every single one and can't wait for the next one.

sarahlynn garner I started with the infernal devices because of them taking place before the mortal instruments. I feel differently I completely fell in love with the characters. I can't wait to read more of the series.

Renee Agree! I am listening to the audiobook and it is okay, I will certainly continue with the series to find out what happens to/with the characters. However, i feel that it is way too similar to the City Series. Will = Jace, Tessa = Clary, Jem = Alec, Jessamine = Isabelle. I am in the middle now and am looking forward to learning more about Magnus and Camille in this time period.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will West I truly appreciate your insightful review, but I must disagree with a few things.

Although I have not yet read the Mortal Instruments, I can guarantee you that the cast of supporting characters in Clockwork Angel are anything but flat. Without these characters, the story would have been incredibly boring and slow. The supporting characters were each incredibly thought out and planned and they brought more than just three opinions to the story. For example, without the supporting women of the story, Will's nature would not be so obvious, amusing, and infuriating to the readers.

That's the second thing I disagree with. You described Will as lacking in wit and very not sarcastic. I do believe that to be a serious faux pas on your part. Will covers his deep ignominy with his sarcasm, wit, and a bit of rudeness. Will Herondale is one of the most sarcastic and witty characters that I have ever had the pleasure of discovering through literature. Over and over, we see Will making jokes about incredibly serious matters, singing little songs about repulsive things, or just being an typical clown. His sarcasm and wit are unmatched.

HittrixTheReader I think it's just what series readers start with. I started with Infernal so it's a 5/5 for me. However. the Mortal Series I could not connect with because the characters and draggy storyline. This would probably be a different opinion from me if I had read Mortal first. Also I feel like Clare forces her characters to say things like from Dante's inferno that seem out of character to me.