Julia's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

May 29, 09

Read in May, 2009

Picking up in what seems like moments after the ending of Armstrong's first book The Summoning, we find Chloe Saunders and her friend Rae captured by the Edison Group, the doctors who were conducting experiments on supernatural teens at Lyle House. Surprised to find former housemate Tori there as well, (Chloe assumed she was the tattler on their original escape plan), the girls are eager to slip out of Dr. Davidoff's hands and find Simon and Derek. Davidoff plans on using them as bait to nose out the brothers, but with the help of half-demon Liz and a redeemed Aunt Lauren, Tori and Chloe escape and are reunited with Simon and Derek. The boys figure if they can reach their father's old friend, Andrew, he will provide help and answers. A bit disturbed by what they have already learned, Chloe and the others wonder how the genetic mutations done to them will manifest now that they are in their teens and their various powers are coming to light.

Because The Awakening presupposes we've read the first novel, we are spared what I felt was a lot of filler from the first novel. This is a great sequel and Armstrong has made a good transition to YA. It would probably be worthwhile to check out her adult series while waiting for the next Darkest Powers novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.