liirogue's Reviews > The Peshawar Lancers

The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling

Dec 11, 07

it was ok

This could have been an amazing book. The premise is a little unusual - the earth is struck by a series of meteors, causing a miniature ice age. Western civilization essentially collapses, and British society relocates to India. Against this backdrop of severe cultural/social upheaval, there is a mysterious assassination plot afoot.

But the author, I felt, really lets you down. The characters tended to be flat and stereotypical. The basic plot was very simplistic (I foresaw every "twist" by the time I was halfway through the book), though the author tries to distract from that by adding in all of this extraneous detail. And there is just too much extraneous detail in general. A lot of research obviously went into this book. And the author really wants to make sure the reader knows just how much research was done.

That being said, I did enjoy the novelty of the situation the author proposes. He also has several societies devolve into cannibalism. For me, the most interesting parts of the book were those dealing with how these cannibalistic (or formerly cannibalistic) tribes were dealing with the trauma of these acts, and how the rest of the world viewed these societies.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peshawar Lancers.