JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The Golden Compass takes place in an alternative world where every human has a daemon familiar and witches and sentient armored bears rule the Arctic. The main character, a feisty little urchin named Lyra, sets out for the north to discover why children are disappearing off the streets in England and also to rescue her father.

I read this when it first came out, but I don't remember reading the other two books in the series. I decided to pick it up again when I saw that the movie is coming out soon.

This was a very enjoyable book that just rocked right along. The fantasy is very different. It doesn't center on the overdone dragons, orcs, and maidens-in-distress. The Church seems to be based on scientific research and the whole idea behind the book seems to be based on the very general, uninformed ideas I have about quantum physics. And Lyra is a great main character. Nothing keeps her down for very long. She's sort of a female Jack from the Jack tales, in that she can weasel her way out of anything.

I'll be interested to see what the people who object to Harry Potter on the grounds that he encourages children to engage in witchcraft will make of this movie. Daemon familiars? They'll have a fit. Unless the script of the movie downplays that somehow.

If you like fantasy, and you don't take yourself too seriously to read a children's book, give this one a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Compass.