Estara's Reviews > Cast in Sorrow

Cast in Sorrow by Michelle Sagara

Mar 28, 2013

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2013, favorites
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buyest of autobuy series, I'd say
Recommended for: fans of the series
Read from August 27 to 28, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Considering this is one of my utmost auto-buy series and reads I don't think my enjoyment necessarily will reflect everyone's taste, but I can say that if you already love the series you will love this installment, too.

I can totally see where this was one book - even though MSW takes care to unobtrusively keep readers up-to-date if they haven't reread the previous one before reading this: the whole book is the climax of the Western March storyarc and while it's the usual longer length for her LUNA novels, in reality it would have been a DAW book length (I'd say around 800 pages if they had published the book in one go) - this means that time-wise about three days in all are covered: the point is that it's action, development, shocks, crisis and solution with hardly a breather, but some very good conversations.

The consort takes something of a back-seat, but we get a lot of continuing development for Teela and some fascinating information about Severn's past, clearly not all.

And Kaylin is again "midwifing" developments with her power of the true words - and this time she's actively starting to pick and chose the power, shepherded by what the small "glass dragon" actually is (view spoiler).

You can also see her maturing in thinking before speaking/acting and actually using Diarmad's training to good benefit at the Court of the Vale - it's a lovely overall development for the increasing importance she has to everyone - I mean Teela has now her supporting posse back and some of them will travel back to Elantra and Kaylin, while having limited him, has the little dragon still and Barrani now know what he's capable of.

Considering the fact that Iberrienne is still alive and the deep anger the Emperor felt at this assassination attempt of Bellusdeo, I can't but speculate that Kaylin will meet him sooner rather than later, now that a whole young generation of excelling Barrani will be part of the current world again (view spoiler).

Well, MSW has already said that the next book will have as one thread Kaylin's need for a new place of her own. Which to me means, we'll be back in Elantra, which is just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Sorrow.

08/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading 1 comment
08/28/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Estara (last edited May 20, 2013 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara I think that's my favourite cover in the series so far. Although wouldn't it have been more appropriate in the second book? When she got the name out of the lake? Hmmm.

ETA: +1 for finally actually featuring the hairsticks that keep her hair up ^^.

Laura (Kyahgirl) you're right. I like this cover though.
I am really looking forward to reading more in this world.

Estara The downside of doing a yearly reread when the newest book is nowhere near release (I think in autumn - my reread was started from need for comfort + Angela James reading the manuscript - her being Carina's chief editor means she has an in on Harlequin manuscripts and Luna is a Harlequin imprint), is that I can hardly wait now. *sigh*