Fani's Reviews > Scandal in Spring

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Daisy Bowman is the last unmarried wallflower and her father is so disappointed with her that he decides to take matters into his own hands and marry her to someone of his choosing. That man happens to be Matthew Swift, an employee of his, who unfortunately Daisy finds completely unbearable. However, when Swift comes to England it turns out he's not still the unattractive, cold man Daisy remembered. The years that have passed were more than kind to him, turning him into a handsome, confident and reserved rather than cold man to whom she finds herself unexpectedly attracted. But is Swift's attraction to hers real or is it a ploy to get her to marry him, thus gaining access to her family's fortune?

To say that I liked it would be a huge understatement; I absolutely, loved, adored this book. Daisy was a no-nonsense heroine despite her romantic nature, but in a sweet way, not-obnoxious way. Matthew was an amazing hero for me. It's obvious he carries deep secrets and a dark past and tries to stay away from Daisy in order to protect her. His complete devotion to her was heart-wrenching IMHO, as he again and again put her welfare above his own desires.

This has become my second favorite of the series after Devil In Winter. I enjoyed every single page of it and stayed up way too late in order to finish it. It goes straight to my keepers shelf.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal in Spring.

04/17/2010 page 127
33.96% "It took a little longer than the others to pick up, but now I'm enjoying it immensely! I'm loving Matthew so far:)"
04/17/2010 page 218
58.29% "Oh, I'm loving this! There are many emotional scenes, but also scenes that brought tears in my eyes from too much laughter:)"

Dina Fani, is this a new read or a reread for you? If it's the former, I'm "shocked". I didn't expect to find someone who hasn't read the entire Wallflowers series yet, LOL.

message 2: by Corrine (last edited May 26, 2009 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Corrine I haven't! I started the first book right before Devil in Winter came out, but it didn't hold my interest, so I never read them. Until I read Devil in Winter last year, and then most of Kleypas' backlist, except for this series. I'm going to go back and give them another chance soon.

Dina Another "shocker", Corrine! :)

To be honest, Secrets of a Summer Night and Scandal in Spring were my least favorites in the series, but I highly recommend It Happened One Autumn. It doesn't top Devil in Winter IMHO, though.

Fani Are the dates right here or what???

Anyway, it's a new read for me. My only read of the series until recently had been Devil In Winter which I loved and an half-finished It Happened One Autumn. However, I picked up Secrets of a Summer Night during Easter and I liked it so much that I decided to read all the books in the series, in order this time.

I'm afraid so far Dina, our tastes are completely different: Apart from the awesome Devil In Winter, my favorites have been Secrets of a Summer Night and now Scandal in Spring. IHOA, was nice but Lillian's character did not make it a favorite to me. But I'm loving SIS so far and if nothing unexpected happens, it'll end my second best of the series.

Dina Fani, I think we're 50/50 in our reading tastes. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. But we'll always have St. Vincent. ;)

message 6: by Fani (last edited Apr 18, 2010 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Dina wrote: "But we'll always have St. Vincent. ;)"

Aaaah, if only that was literally true:)

BJ Rose Fani, great review, and nice to see someone else who loved SiS. I've gotten the impression that those who were disappointed in Scandal really wanted Daisy to get Cam - am I right or wrong, ladies?

I agree with Dina, Lillian's character made it harder to enjoy IHOA, but fortunately I'd already fallen for Marcus in earlier books!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, Fani. I thought this was a very sweet book. I loved Daisy and Matthew as a couple. I gave it four stars b/c DIW is a hard act to follow.

Dina BJ Rose wrote: "I've gotten the impression that those who were disappointed in Scandal really wanted Daisy to get Cam - am I right or wrong, ladies?"

Speaking for myself, I didn't want Daisy paired with Cam. Like Lillian said, they were too much alike to make a good match. I liked Daisy with Matthew.

My disappointment with this book had to do with Devil in Winter. Maybe it isn't fair to compare one book with another, but I read them back to back and like Danielle said, DIW is a hard act to follow.

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani BJ Rose, nice to see another SIS fan:-)

I admit that reading DIW I wanted Daisy to end with Cam: I thought they had great chemistry together.

But I must also admit that I didn't have too high expectations for this one since most reviews I'd read were more on the average side, so perhaps that's the reason I ended up liking it so much. And probably because unrequitted love, especially when it comes from the hero, is a favorite theme of mine.

DIW is one amazing book; I wish there was the possibility of an 'extraordinary' rating in goodreads, because it is unfair to rate it the same with so many other books when only a handful can compeat with it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I know what you mean. I wish I could rate some books more than five stars.

Ronyell Awesome review Fani!! I really enjoyed this book too!!

message 13: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani I'm so glad Ronyell! It's not the book most fans love but I adored it, as I adored Matthew. He was sweet and hot at the same tim:)

Ronyell Yep!! He definitely was!!!

message 15: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani He's one of my favorite LK heroes. I feel he's not being as appreciated as he should:)

Ronyell Me too! He truly was a gentle and sexy hero! I think he should have more recognition in the Wallflower series!