Dlora's Reviews > Sail

May 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: suspense-thriller
Read in May, 2009

Sail is a fast-moving story that jumps back and forth from being an adventure/survival story to a suspense thriller to a courtroom drama. It's the story about Katherine Dunne who realizes her children are falling apart after the death of their father four years before--the college-age daughter is bulimic and depressed, the high school son is using drugs and doing badly in school, the ten-year-old boy can't figure out how to related with his family, and they all bicker and fight with each other constantly. Katherine has recently married but she decides, with her new husband's blessing, to take just her children on a family cruise on their ocean-going sail boat to try to reconnect with them. Catastrophes and accidents plague them, which initially brings them closer together, but we realize they are part of a plot to murder them. The chapters are very short and switch between various characters' viewpoints. Be aware that there are some seamy, distasteful sex scenes that you ought to skip over, but they do tend to paint very well the degraded personality of Katherine's new husband. I'd have given the story more stars except for the R-rated sex and that there was one jump in the plot that seemed too abrupt for me. If you read this book, I'd enjoy seeing if you felt the same way about the plot jump. Not really great writing or characterizations, nor great ideas to mull over, but good plot movement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sail.

message 1: by Luan (new)

Luan I have a hard time reading James Patterson anymore because he cheats. Did you notice the extra author at the bottom there??? James Patterson is a writing machine but more often than not anymore it's with other people. When interviewed about it he says they come up with the plot together and then the person writes it but he then goes over it and edits it to his style or something like that. He said he feels like he's giving these writers a leg up in the publishing world. What do you think? If you saw another book by his co-author, would you remember it as connected with this book?

Dlora Luan wrote: "I have a hard time reading James Patterson anymore because he cheats. Did you notice the extra author at the bottom there??? James Patterson is a writing machine but more often than not anymore it'..."
Yeah, maybe "writing" a book with another author does get him out of a lot of work and garners him more money, but it does help a new author who now can say that his work is in print. It's Patterson's name that is getting the new author accepted by a publisher and bought by the public. Admittedly, I am a little leery if I like an author and I then see a joint authorship beause I'm not sure that I will like the result--a second author dilutes the style. (For instance, Greg hates the Tom Clancy books with a second author.) I remember the Kellermans doing a joint book but they each wrote every other chapter: he did the male character point of view and she did the female character point of view. That was kind of intriguing.
DD